Wednesday 12 November 2014

Louise Young Foundation Brush LY34

Unless you live under the see, you must at least ever heard of Anna from Viviannadoesmakeup, right? She is a beauty blogger and she makes the most enjoyable beauty videos on youtube as well. And to add it up, she is also a very dangerous enabler, like I literally always want to try everything she raved about. And this foundation brush from Louise Young was no exception.





Actually, I am very happy with my Real Techniques buffing brush for my foundation application. I have had it for more than 3 years and yet it is still working very well. But my curiosity is bigger so when I saw Anna repeatedly use this foundation brush on her videos, and after reading mostly positive reviews on the internet, I decided to order this brush. 
My first impression was : wow it is big! The brush is ca. 18,5cm long measured from the top of bristles to the end of the handle. The bristles are synthetic which I prefer for applying liquid foundation as real hair tends to soak too much product, imo. The bristles are tapered-dome shaped and so soft, plush and also dense. They don't scratch my skin and feel very nice. But, as someone who is used to use buffing brush, I was a bit skeptical about this dome shaped brush as I worried it would make the foundation appear streaky. Well, I was not completely wrong. 

The brush works very well in a sweeping motion. I find it applies foundation evenly and doesn't soak up a lot of product. But, when it's not correctly used, it could make foundation apply streaky. I also don't really agree that people say this brush can apply foundation in 1 minute. I mean, how? Because I find that buffing brush works faster than this one and I need more time to evenly apply my foundation using this brush if I want it to apply flawless and not streaky. 
Don't get me wrong, I do think this brush is a good quality one. I don't really know what is my problem with this brush in general as it does its job very well. I guess it might be the large size? or the dome shape? or maybe it is me who is very used to apply foundation with buffing brush with buffing method rather than sweeping method? Or maybe it is just me having different preference when it comes to brushes. 

On the other note, I find this brush is great if you want to sheer down your foundation. Let's say you're working with a full coverage foundation but you don't want to appear mask-like, this is the brush to go! And I have been using it more often to apply my setting powder. 

This brush retails for GBP24 which I think is very reasonable for what you get. The brush is no doubt well made and it performs well ( if you don't mind applying foundation in sweeping method rather than buffing method ) . It washes well too. 

What is your current favorite brush?
Love
Pam

1 comment: